The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/actually-when-i-got-my-drivers-license-in-30781932.aspx

Subject:  Re: Question for TMFPMarti Date:  7/17/2013  10:06 AM
Author:  CCinOC Number:  689160 of 736948

Actually, when I got my driver's license in California they wouldn't accept a valid non-expired Colorado driver's license as ID.

Valid forms of ID to obtain a CA drivers license
http://apps.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/hdbk/obtain_dl.htm

Acceptable Documents

An acceptable birth date/legal presence or true full name document is issued by a county or state. This document is a certified copy of the original (the original is retained by the county or state) and contains an impressed seal or an original stamped impression. The DMV will not accept a photocopy of the certified copy for birth date/legal presence or true full name verification.

Examples of other acceptable birth date/legal presence documents are:

~ U.S. Birth Certificate
~ Proof of Indian Blood Degree
~ U.S. Passport
~ U.S. Armed Forces ID Cards
~ Certificate of Naturalization
~ Permanent Resident Card, or a foreign passport or Mexican Border Crossing Card with a valid I-94. The I-94 expiration date must be more than 2 months from the DL/ID card application date.

A complete list of birth date/ legal presence documents is available online at www.dmv.ca.gov or in the Birth Date/ Legal Presence and True Full Name (FFDL 05) Fast Facts brochure.

Examples of true full name verification documents include the following:

~ Adoption documents containing your legal name as a result of the adoption.
~ Name change documents containing your legal name both before and after the name change.
~ Marriage Certificate
~ A certificate, declaration, or registration document verifying the information of a domestic partnership.
~ Dissolution of marriage document containing your legal name, as a result of the court order.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm

How to apply for a driver license if you are over 18

If you are a visitor in California over 18 and have a valid driver license from your home state or country, you may drive in this state without getting a California driver license as long as your home state license remains valid.

If you become a California resident, you must get a California driver license within 10 days. Residency is established by voting in a California election, paying resident tuition, filing for a homeowner’s property tax exemption, or any other privilege or benefit not ordinarily extended to nonresidents. [...]

If your name is different on your birth date and/or legal presence document than the one you are currently using, you will also need to provide an additional acceptable document to establish your true full name, such as; a marriage certificate, dissolution of marriage, adoption or name change document that shows your current name.

A valid non-expired drivers license from another U.S. state isn't a "legal presence document?" That's odd. Sounds to me, based on the reference above to a "...document ... contains an impressed seal or an original stamped impression." like the DMV worker/branch office was mistaken. Most drivers licenses now contain holograms, for cryin' out loud.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us