The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/we-are-due-for-a-retrenchment-things-have-been-30782386.aspx

Subject:  Re: Wht Say You All Here.... Date:  7/17/2013  2:23 PM
Author:  AngelMay Number:  72639 of 75777

We are due for a retrenchment. Things have been up for a long time and looking a little "Toppy". Not sure how big any retrenchment would be but I do believe we have seen the generational low in this market cycle. That would have been 2008/early 2009. Anybody really think we'll flounce 60% again? I just don't see it. If you see that what are your reasons? Besides just repeating "bubble...bubble...bubble..."

I don't really know. That's why I was asking.
The articles I've seen say that we are in for a drastic (Maybe 75 to 80% or more of value lost) plunge in the market. I think mainly due to - so the articles hint - the fed printing money and all the other banking woes, etc., etc., ad nauseum.

Some of these article writers are, I'm sure, pushing gold.
The ONLY thing I'm sure of is the market goes down 10 times faster (sometimes even faster) than it goes up. It can scare the bejesus out of you if you are retired and your current stash is all you have or likely to have - other than what the current stash can generate.

I'm just not sure what to do - that's why I have such a huge portion of my assets in cash. Angel Spouse has ALL his assets in cash except for a few shares of Boeing that he got while he was working for that company some while ago. So even if the market goes nuts we are not going to starve - but we could be hurt by it in the long run.

I was just wondering what the sentiment is here about these crash-predicting articles - especially given that the market has been hitting new highs recently.

AM
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us