The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/the-articles-ive-seen-say-that-we-are-in-for-a-30782531.aspx

Subject:  Re: Wht Say You All Here.... Date:  7/17/2013  3:45 PM
Author:  Hawkwin Number:  72644 of 76418

The articles I've seen say that we are in for a drastic (Maybe 75 to 80% or more of value lost) plunge in the market.

That would mean the DOW would drop to 3000. While it is possible it could eventually go down that far, it would not happen over night. The peak to trough period for the Great Recession was from October 2007 through March of 2009.

I was just wondering what the sentiment is here about these crash-predicting articles

I think you nailed it on their desire to sell you gold (or something else).

I've not checked this stat lately but as of last year, there was no single 5yr rolling period of a balanced mix of stocks and bonds that was negative going back to the 1950s.

If you are concerned about a big market drop, I think you would be smarter to be invested and simply use trailing stop loss orders to protect you from such. There are some decent companies paying 2-4% in dividends and all that money in cash indefinately is going to lose purchasing power.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us