The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/if-you-are-concerned-about-a-big-market-drop-i-30782561.aspx

Subject:  Re: Wht Say You All Here.... Date:  7/17/2013  4:05 PM
Author:  AngelMay Number:  72646 of 75809

If you are concerned about a big market drop, I think you would be smarter to be invested and simply use trailing stop loss orders to protect you from such. There are some decent companies paying 2-4% in dividends and all that money in cash indefinately is going to lose purchasing power.

---------------------

Well to be invested I would have to invest now - at the top of the market. Somehow that doesn't seem prudent. Better to wait for a good pullback and THEN invest some of the cash.

Stop losses don't work for my mutual funds... so that's out.

I only own two stocks and two ETFs currently. My one stock pays me over 12% in dividends (I bought a while back) and the other one is AAPL which can drop like a rock or shoot like a rocket without warning.

I'm just pretty conservative right now. The market just makes me nervous lately. I think this is because I don't have a lot of confidence in our government anymore. <sigh>

AM
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us