The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/is-not-the-time-to-sell-high-30782581.aspx

Subject:  Is not the time to Sell High? Date:  7/17/2013  4:15 PM
Author:  myfoolmc Number:  72648 of 76237

Ok..here's my situation. I'm 2 years from retirement. My employer-sponsored retirement investments are in a 403(b) with TIAA-CREF. TIAA is a fixed guaranteed contract, and CREF is the equities (mutual funds) side of the plan. Currently, TIAA is earning 3-4% interest, and CREF investments are doing much better. My monthly contributions are 60% CREF, 40% TIAA.

I don't even pretend (or try) to time the market, but I'm hearing lots of respected market watchers saying that we may be at a high point, or that future gains may not be as robust as we've seen these last few quarters. I'm worried that if we are at a high, and the market roller coaster starts its downward plunge over the next year or so, I may be sitting at the bottom of the tracks (glassy-eyed) just as I reach my retirement date.

So, I'm wondering if now is a prudent time for me to move some (not all) of my CREF investments to the TIAA fixed. Once transferred, I can't move these monies back into CREF. In other words, is now the time to apply the old adage Buy Low, Sell High? And if so, what percentage should I transfer? What about my current monthly contributions --- should I stay the 60% CREF - 40% TIAA course, or re-balance to be more aggressive/conservative?

Thanks for reading.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us