The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: 501(c)(3) formation Date:  7/22/2013  9:15 PM
Author:  JeanDavid Number:  118905 of 123001

Unless you have a full-time staff with a knowledgeable attorney, it can be very time-consuming. I, too, am in New Jersey and my church needs just a letter from the IRS stating that we are 501(c)(3). Now except for far out (I call them California) religions, all churches implicitly have that status, and we do. As treasurer, I need never file anything for the IRS even though we accept donations for religious purposes. But for soliciting contributions from som