The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/unless-you-have-a-full-time-staff-with-a-30789950.aspx

Subject:  Re: 501(c)(3) formation Date:  7/22/2013  9:15 PM
Author:  JeanDavid Number:  118905 of 121114

Unless you have a full-time staff with a knowledgeable attorney, it can be very time-consuming. I, too, am in New Jersey and my church needs just a letter from the IRS stating that we are 501(c)(3). Now except for far out (I call them California) religions, all churches implicitly have that status, and we do. As treasurer, I need never file anything for the IRS even though we accept donations for religious purposes. But for soliciting contributions from some organizations, we need a letter from the IRS saying we are a 501(c)(3). We are all volunteers, but we got all the forms, and I produced many of the required reports. We also have access to a suitable attorney who will not do the work for free, but will review out work to ensure it is OK. There is a considerable fee payable to the IRS just to get the letter. We have been at this for about 5 years, but as our volunteers turn over, we must often start over near the beginning. And after a year, the required reports must be re-done. I suspect a full-time staff could do this in a year or so, but we will never have a staff.

And all this just to get it in writing that we are a 501(c)(3) outfit.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us