The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Health & Fitness / Running Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/-and-the-calendar-im-using-says-that-this-30790260.aspx

Subject:  Re: RR: CHK 4K Date:  7/23/2013  6:35 AM
Author:  VeeEnn Number:  23514 of 23674

.... and the calendar I’m using says that this was a good week to target a race, probably a 5K. No close race was appealing, so I decided to go with the 4K that I found that was a little over an hour drive away. Since pretty much every one of my training runs anymore is longer than this distance, my stated goal was to go out entirely too fast and see if I could hold it......

You're right.....it is fun.

Out of interest, are you training with any sort of "technology"....Garmin etc? The reason I ask is that, unless ther's a long track record of athleticism, most folk don't have much of a well developed sense of pace (those who do tend to be household names) You're thinking wasn't faulty in that running a shorter distance ought to give you a faster "best effort"......but with this small of a distance change it'd be so subtle a change in pace as to be in the order of seconds and that's not easy to intuit. Finding it out by trial and error gets to be not much fun at all.

I've found that, as I've gotten older, I want the biggest return on investment for most everything I do (seeing as the passage of Time is faster than me these days)....including, but not limited to my training. "Technology" isn't just for the elites. Quite the reverse. In any new endevour, it seems to me that ROI is greatest for novices.....your relative improvement is so much quicker for what you do than any Olympian. Along with giving you feedback, helping with developing a sense of pace etc. etc, it's everso much fun to observe physiology in action and see some degree of objective measurement almost day by day rather than waiting for a race as your self test.

Congrats!

Vivienne
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us