The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Well on Less

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-agree-that-things-like-new-furnishings-and-30792466.aspx

Subject:  Re: Happy Money: The Science of Smarter Spending Date:  7/24/2013  11:30 AM
Author:  alstroemeria Number:  1466 of 1488

I agree that things like new furnishings and clothing are unlikely to improve my life, but if we buy a big screen TV, Japanese chef's knife, Vitamix/Blendtec, won't we have better experiences?!

I've been postponing those big-ticket purchases for ages, and sometimes I wonder what I'm waiting for.

ASIDE
We canceled our cable bundle before our recent 2-month RV trip (speaking of experiences ;-), just keeping the internet service. We're saving 2% of our gross monthly income! I didn't think it was that much, but unless I calculated incorrectly, 2-effing-percent for landline phone and cable TV service. wowsers! So not worth it. We typically don't even watch a single TV program or movie 2 days a week, and on another day or 2 just watch a DVD that we own.

We're home for some weeks before leaving on our next RV trip. We're watching a little free TV on DH's desktop computer--recent episodes on the shows' websites. We'll be home longer after our next trip and plan to sign up for online Netflix and maybe Hulu for more options, so that 2% savings will become more like 1.5%. But it sure was easy! Now to explain to our August house guests why we can't watch TV...
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us