The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Well on Less

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-agree-that-things-like-new-furnishings-and-30792811.aspx

Subject:  Re: Happy Money: The Science of Smarter Spending Date:  7/24/2013  1:48 PM
Author:  vkg Number:  1468 of 1483

I agree that things like new furnishings and clothing are unlikely to improve my life, but if we buy a big screen TV, Japanese chef's knife, Vitamix/Blendtec, won't we have better experiences?!

Adding more clothes to an already full closet won't improve your life. I hadn't bought clothes for a few years, and had to replace my clothes for work.

Good knives do improve your life. My Japanese chef's knife (not as seen on TV brand) is great. I would not part with it.

I bought a Vitamix a number of years ago, and occassionally use it. It is nice, but could easily live without it.

Big screen TV depends on your definition. We bought a 45" HDTV when our previous TV died. My SS is trying to convince us that we need a larger TV. His is in the 65" range. I not sharing his opinion.

In time we will replace the upholstered furniture, but not until we have completely unpacked, and the new less toxic fire retardant laws have taken effect. The couch and loveseat in the living room are older than my stepson's wife. They are still in reasonably good shape.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us