The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/what-is-your-biggest-expense-in-retirement-ours-30797974.aspx

Subject:  Re: Poll: Where to live Date:  7/27/2013  12:40 PM
Author:  fleg9bo Number:  18550 of 19348

What is your biggest expense in retirement? Ours is health care.

Ours has been health care as well. But DW joins me on Medicare in September, dropping our costs more than $12,000 per year (yay! -- more travel!) over what they were before I signed up. Until I started Medicare last year, we had been paying over $1100 per month in insurance premiums for a policy with $1500 deductibles, 30% copays and essentially no drug coverage. Now I pay $1140 per year for my Part B supplemental and something like $400 for Part D, while DW will be getting an Advantage plan with no premiums. And the deductibles are something like $300 and with much smaller copays than 30%. The American taxpayer is certainly being very generous in helping to provide us a more comfortable lifestyle, not to mention the 40% or so of our expenses that are borrowed from the futures of your kids and grandkids

Last year travel was our second biggest expense and the year before it was home repair/maintenance, as it might be next year when we spring for a new roof, although travel could win again.

--fleg
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us