The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/two-of-the-three-windows-had-no-screens-i-bought-30801381.aspx

Subject:  Re: Solar screens Date:  7/30/2013  2:09 AM
Author:  salaryguru Number:  50926 of 56851

Two of the three windows had no screens. I bought this house in 2001 and it was built in 1980. The previous owner was (I'm only guessing here based on what I found) a gorilla who had stripped every bolt, every screw to fasten outlets and light switches, had pulled half the drawers in the custom cabinets off their tracks, and apparently, had destroyed about half the screens and their frames in the house.

Don't worry. I had figured this all out before I purchased. I paid appropriately knowing that I could fix all of these problems.

But back to the screens.

- My windows are the kind that slide sideways to open. Half of the window opens and the other half does not. So the screens only cover half the windows. The frames I do have don't cover the whole window.

- The largest offending window is in my master bathroom. My master bathroom is slightly larger than a dance hall. In the outer corner, I have a large spa with two large 76" x 60" windows at the corner of the house that do not open so they do not have screens. A very large rubber tree shades one of the windows. The other gets direct sun only in the afternoon in Summer. That's the one I'm shading.

So no. . . I couldn't use existing screen frames. I only had one and it only covered half the window.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us