The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-take-exception-to-the-characterization-of-30803168.aspx

Subject:  Re: 401K for small business Date:  7/31/2013  7:00 AM
Author:  billjam Number:  118935 of 120800

I take exception to the characterization of dumping stuff they don't want on the charity. A local homeless shelter runs a resale shop to raise money to support the shelter. They have been so successful they had to enlarge the shop. They were also able to extend the time the shelter is open by two months. Not bad!

I've donated many items which might otherwise have ended up in the landfill because I don't do garage sales. All were in servicable condition and they were happy to have them. What is surprising, according to friends who volunteer at the shop, is the people who come there to shop. Let's just say they aren't all poor.

So if you can recycle items you don't want and benefit a charity at the same time, go for it. And if you can get a tax deduction, take it. I can't anymore because I can't itemize but I used to.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us