The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/absolutely-not-theres-more-of-a-sincere-quality-30803385.aspx

Subject:  Re: Charitable deduction question Date:  7/31/2013  10:01 AM
Author:  PSUEngineer Number:  118938 of 121565

Absolutely not. There's more of a sincere quality to your generosity in that case, where cash is involved. Except nobody does that.

Why would it be more sincere to give cash? Would you be snickering if I donated suitcases to a battered female shelter, towels and food to a pet shelter or furniture to a veteran's group? What you think about people who give cash as church out of obligation to God instead of any real desire to be charitable?

Do some people dump trash (torn clothes, broken household items) on Goodwill? Sure. Do you know by looking at a tax return if the charitable gift is in good condition? Probably not in many cases. Some people are confusing unwanted with worthless. Just because something is no longer wanted does not mean the item has no value. I no longer wanted my last vehicle. Does that mean I should just have given it away on Freecycle instead of selling it? Are you judgmental of all your clients?

PSU
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us