The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/since-you-are-posting-made-up-statistics-90-of-30804271.aspx

Subject:  Re: Charitable deduction question Date:  7/31/2013  3:52 PM
Author:  foo1bar Number:  118952 of 121159

Since you are posting made-up statistics (90% of Goodwill),
Yes, it's made up - just like when I said 99 out of 100 earlier.
But I'd be willing to bet that it's accurate enough for response if I asked some people dropping stuff off at Goodwill (or similar place): "Do you mind if I ask you why you're donating these items today? Is it because you are trying to free up some space in your home?"
It might be 75%. it might be 95%. But I'd bet it's the majority by a significant margin.

I think 90% of local church donations are out of obligation, not because they want to help the poor.
That'd be a false dichotomy.
I don't consider my donations to a church to be obligation, nor to help the poor. A significant amount of my donation goes to maintaining the building. Another big chunk goes to pay church staff. Then there are other missions of the church - for example some funds support a substance abuse support program, and some funds support disaster relief missions. A relatively small percentage goes to the poor (ex. Heifer International and CROP walk)

But really this is quite a bit afield - church is just ONE possible charity - there are thousands of other charities if you have an objection to donating to church. And unless I'm misreading your comment, you do object to that - so feel free to pick other ones - I mentioned some other examples, and there are many many many many more.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us