The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/from-that-page-to-which-you-linked-gw-letters-30811627.aspx

Subject:  Re: how to pay debt, get it removed from report? Date:  8/5/2013  3:03 PM
Author:  aj485 Number:  307146 of 308882

From that page to which you linked:

GW letters are only for paid items on your credit report. If you have any unpaid items you would like off, then an alternative is to send a Pay-For-Delete letter (PFD) instead.

I would disagree with that characterization, although I think that there are some good letter templates there, which is why I provided the link.

Neither type of item will be removed from your credit report until at least some part of the debt (that both parties agree to) is actually paid for. From a creditor perspective, it's still a good will gesture to remove the item from your report, whether they agree to it before or after the agreed to amount is paid.

You, as the consumer, probably have a little more negotiating leverage if you haven't already paid the item off. But creditors are still the only ones who can agree to remove the items, and it's still good will on their part to do so. That's why I consider them to be "good will pay for delete" requests, rather than just "pay for delete" requests.

AJ
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us