The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-thought-id-addressed-this-with-the-sentence-30812431.aspx

Subject:  Re: Medicare Part D - Estimate Costs Date:  8/6/2013  12:20 AM
Author:  BaumgrenzeJohn Number:  18577 of 19218

I thought I'd addressed this with the sentence below:

To this must be added the risk that an expensive drug might be prescribed at any time, bearing in mind that 'tier pricing' and the 'donut hole' do a lot to protect the insurer's investment in the client's business.

I'm personally interested in how much extra I pay each year for prescription drugs under the plan I use. I wonder just how many subscribers really save money.

I also wonder if this is not just a subset of our wonderful, private-enterprise based health insurance system. One where what we get for our premium dollars is really access to pharmaceuticals at a 'negotiated' price (higher than what Health Canada pays the drug manufacturers, to be sure) and protection from a catastrophic expense such as anti-rejection drugs. Many of our premium dollars are spent on costly idiosyncratic overhead items.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us