The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/iirc-you-included-gas-in-that-250year-figure-30815532.aspx

Subject:  Re: update Date:  8/7/2013  7:52 PM
Author:  NoIDAtAll Number:  307163 of 308881

IIRC, you included GAS in that $250/year figure, and that's what I can't figure out.

You recalled what I posted incorrectly, Ishtar.

I've done some of my own work, but I'm not up to pulling out an engine or a transmission by myself, mostly because I don't have the tools or the space.

I collected a lot of tools over the years, including a compressor capable of operating pneumatic tools and painting a car - The pneumatic tools make work a lot easier and faster, and I also bought a MIG welder. I bought the bigger stuff a little at a time, and pneumatic tools didn't cost me a great deal - There's not a whole lot to many of them - An air compressor does the work. I also just rented some tools, like an engine hoist.

I know what you're saying about the space. I live in an apartment, too. Fortunately, my employer has allowed me to use the spacious garage at the back of the office. He realized that letting me use it saved me quite a bit. You can see the garage in this slideshow taken when I was doing some work on my MG: http://s229.photobucket.com/user/NoIDAtAll/media/1970%20MGB/...

I've done work I've had to do because there was no choice, but mostly, I've had to pay other people to work on it. Sometimes I can do that payment as a trade off of skills, but still.

As I grow older (I'm now 64) I am leaning more and more in that direction, too. When I was 19, I removed and replaced an engine in my 56 Chevy in the middle of winter on my back in 18" of snow... brrr! Now I prefer to have someone else do The work. I can, usually, find someone to do needed work reasonably, and I can usually tell the guy's workmanship, by listening to him, and by watching how he handles himself working.

Bob
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us