The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-mean-my-current-car-is-over-20-years-old-but-30815824.aspx

Subject:  Re: update Date:  8/8/2013  12:34 AM
Author:  NoIDAtAll Number:  307170 of 308643

I mean, my current car is over 20 years old, but I only bought it two years ago. I've replaced a tire, alternator, starter, clutch, and battery. It needs a new compressor for the a/c, but that's not happening any time soon.

I had to have a mechanic do the clutch - it just wasn't feasible for me to even attempt it. That was $600 (and I talked him down from $800).

Just that repair puts me over your $250/year for this vehicle.

Well, you bought your 20 year old car only recently, Ishtar - I bought mine when it was only 4 years old and had only 55,000 miles on it, and drove it 17 years. It had a known defect, that I knew and knew how to get repaired at a reasonable cost. I have bought cars 20 or more year old cars and kept them running reliably and safely for far less than the cost of a new or late model car. Some people, perhaps a number of people, like to trade their cars in every 2-3 years for new ones. I think (pretty sure) doing so will cost quite a bit more than costs I've experienced, but maybe they need the new models to transport clients or company reps, and impress them, reasonably - I don't... I've had/have my collectible cars to do that, or my employer's late model vehicle, if I wanted (or needed) to do that - more funner. <BG>

D.O.D. (Dear Old Dad) once told me, "A car is transportation." - I listened and heard what he said.

Bob
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us