The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/unless-the-entire-mortgage-is-paid-off-paying-30815960.aspx

Subject:  Re: Would you pay off Home loans at 4.75%?? Date:  8/8/2013  7:11 AM
Author:  Watty56 Number:  72735 of 76418

...Unless the entire mortgage is paid off, paying down principal does not reduce the monthly payment on the loan, so as a matter of cash flow you are no more free than you were prior to the pay-down - the mortgage will simply be paid off sooner....

It is likely that if you wanted to pay down of 50% of your mortgage that your lender would agree to "recast your mortgage" (Google this) which would reduce your mortgage payment by 50%. This should only cost a couple of hundred dollars in processing fees.

If for some reason, like bad credit, you cannot refinance then I would look at what percent of your net worth would be in the home if you paid it off. Putting 80% of your net worth into the home would make me feel uneasy unless the rest of your situation is special. If less that 30% of your net worth would be in the home then I would likely pay it off.

If you can refinance to a reasonable interest rate then paying it off or not really depnds on the rest of your situation.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us