The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/investing-in-stocks-as-i-see-it-is-almost-like-30816545.aspx

Subject:  Re: Help Dad with Retirement Date:  8/8/2013  1:06 PM
Author:  TwoCybers Number:  72737 of 75793

Investing in stocks, as I see it, is almost like playing the lottery. Today hedge funds worry if they are located closer to the exchanges than the competition -- closer means faster transmission over the internet for trading. Myself I just don't have the latest information and living in Atlanta I am certainly seconds if not minutes from making trades. Add to that any company can have a shot in the night and risks or loss are not trivial. So I have decided it is mutual funds or ETFs.

I want something simple. After a lot of looking and reading the Morningstar Premium analysis, I have put the majority of our retirement into VWENX. It is a record that is hard to beat. You might check the 3, 5 and 10 year returns of your mix and compare that to VWENX.

VWENX returns have been 12.26%, 8.42% and 8.81% for 3, 5 & 10 years. Note - be very careful with your 5 year comparison. 5 years ago was 2008 and the market moved a lot. If you are off even 4 or 5 days with data, you can get seriously distorted 5 year returns.

Gordon
Atlanta
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us