The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: Help Dad with Retirement Date:  8/9/2013  12:21 PM
Author:  akck Number:  72750 of 88758

I assume the investments are in a tax deferred account. I'd do as others have suggested, but I'd start converting it over to a Roth IRA prior to age 70.5, when RMDs start. That will give him the option to manage income, reducing future RMD income and supplementing with Roth funds as needed.

Obviously, he should utilize the rest of his current tax bracket and he should look at his bracket with the RMDs. For example, I'm thinking RMDs will push us into the 25% tax bracket at some point. I'll be looking at converting to a Roth and maybe paying the 25% tax earlier, in order to avoid paying it over multiple years after age 70.5.
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us