The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/is-credit-monitoring-worth-the-expense-no-if-an-30826412.aspx

Subject:  Re: Question about debt collection call Date:  8/14/2013  8:49 PM
Author:  Fuskie Number:  307187 of 308428

Is credit monitoring worth the expense?

No.

If an erroneous entry appears on my credit report how do I go about expediently having it removed from my credit report?

Pull all three of your credit reports from www.annualcreditreport.com. If there is an error, each credit reporting agency (CRA) will have a dispute process the report will explain to you.

How do I identify this supposed debt they are calling about without divulging more information then they already have about me?

Tell them they have 30 days to send you proof of debt in writing. They probably won't because they don't have it, in which case they are in violation of the Fair Debt Collection Act. If they do, send them a letter back by certified mail stating this is not your debt (assuming it is not your debt) and they may not contact you about it again.

Fuskie
Who does not think you have to verify any information; the debt collection agency has the responsibility to prove the debt is yours...
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us