The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: ROTH 401K to ROTH IRA Date:  8/16/2013  11:00 AM
Author:  TMFPMarti Number:  119013 of 127616

Is it possible to convert a ROTH 401K to a ROTH IRA?

Yes, but I'd call it a rollover, not a conversion. It works just like a rollover from a traditional 401(k) to a traditional IRA.

While we're on the subject of Roth 401(k)'s, an oddity that affects people approaching their 70 1/2 year. Unlike Roth IRAs, Roth 401(k)'s have Required Minimum Distributions (RMD's). Since the 401(k) must distribute an RMD before completing a rollover it's important to move the account to a Roth IRA before January 1 of the year you turn 70 1/2 if you don't want the RMD to happen.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us