The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: ROTH 401K to ROTH IRA Date:  8/16/2013  1:28 PM
Author:  PSUEngineer Number:  119016 of 127549

Yes, but I'd call it a rollover, not a conversion. It works just like a rollover from a traditional 401(k) to a traditional IRA.

This brings up the question to what happens if your 401k is a mixture of traditional 401k contributions and Roth 401k contributions. Do you roll the traditional portion into a traditional IRA and the Roth 401k portion into a Roth IRA? Or do you roll the whole thing into a Roth IRA and pay taxes on the traditional portion of the account?
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us