The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: ROTH 401K to ROTH IRA Date:  8/16/2013  8:00 PM
Author:  TMFPMarti Number:  119024 of 127643

Uh, no, you can't do that. Non-Roth contributions roll into a traditional IRA if they roll anywhere. You might want to look into correcting this since it's a 6% excess contribution penalty if the IRS catches on.

Fidelity managed the separate transactions, and issued 1099Rs for the transactions. They said they could and would do the transfers.

I guess I chose bad wording. I have no doubt that it was done since you said it was. My point is that it's not allowed by tax law. I'll remind you of what I often say regarding financial service providers and tax law. There's a reason their fine print says don't rely on us.

Were I your husband I'd get an opinion from someone who knows tax law and can be held responsible. But it's his money, not mine.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us