The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/401ks-offer-fixed-income-investments-you-dont-30834014.aspx

Subject:  Re: Borrowing from your 401(k) Date:  8/20/2013  11:03 AM
Author:  aj485 Number:  307205 of 308881

401Ks offer fixed income investments. You don't need to borrow against a 401K to hedge against a bear market.

The bear market in 2008/2009 hit fixed income markets, too. After the Lehman bankruptcy, there were fears that a lot of other companies were going to default on their debt, too.

I bought several fixed income investments below par in 2009 and have realized nice capital gains on several that have been called. The sellers of those investments could very well have been managers of investments available in 401(k)s, since some of the investments I bought appeared to occur when large blocks of a particular fixed income investment were being sold - possibly to meet redemption demands.

I actually borrowed from my 401(k) at that time, in order to help facilitate buying some of those investments, because they weren't available in my 401(k).

AJ
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us