The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Questions on (late) City Taxes Date:  8/21/2013  12:10 AM
Author:  TMFBigFrog Number:  119041 of 127753

A friend of mine just informed me that the city he works and lives in is asking him for unpaid city income taxes for 2010, 2011, and 2012. (He admits that he didn't have his tax withholdings correct at his work and that he owes something.)

As he pays off these back tax debts, interest on the back tax debts, and penalties on the back tax debts, is any of the payment potentially deductible on his federal taxes? If so what part or parts? Also, when? Would it be deductible as he pays it (IE: in 2013 or 2014), or would he have to amend prior years to claim the deduction?

Inside Value Home Fool
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us