The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/do-you-think-that-people-who-come-here-and-get-us-30838409.aspx

Subject:  Re: Renouncing citizenship for tax purposes Date:  8/22/2013  9:06 PM
Author:  JeanDavid Number:  119062 of 121268

Do you think that people who come here and get US citizenship are banned from ever returning to the country of their birth to visit? I doubt that very much, and don't think it should be any different for a US citizen who becomes a citizen of another country.

I was born in France and at the time, both of my parents were French citizens.
When I was about 21, I became a U.S. citizen, mainly because I needed a Secret security clearance for my job. When I became a U.S.citizen, I had to make an oath about lots of things, including that I renounced my former citizenship.

But under French law, I cannot renounce my French citizenship. Once French, always French. So technically, I am a dual national. I have never voted in a French election. On the other hand, it was somewhat of a problem avoiding French military service because I was a U.S. citizen living in the U.S., but the French do not recognize that. The French even sent me a free one-way ticket good on the French (steamship) Line or Air France to go to France, and good on SNCF to get to Pau (major paratroop training site, like Ft. Dix in USA). I chose not to take advantage of this generous offer.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us