The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

Subject:  Re: Renouncing citizenship for tax purposes Date:  8/23/2013  12:42 PM
Author:  JAFO31 Number:  119069 of 124774

saunafool: "The U.S. laws actually make it worse. Americans cannot have investment accounts overseas. Or, they can, but the only two things which are accepted investments are cash and U.S. Treasuries.

. . .

If American law makes it impossible for me to extract the money without paying punitive taxes (i.e. 70% when you add the European income tax plus the U.S. tax) and they make it impossible for me to invest locally--because all of my retirement expenses will be in Euros, I would have to consider renouncing citizenship."

I am neither a tax pro nor af ormer expatriate, but neither statement above sounds correct to me. And with regard to the latter statement, the US gives a credt for foreign taxes paid.

"You may claim the Foreign Tax Credit for taxes paid in a foreign country. However, you may not claim a tax credit for taxes paid on any income which has been excluded from US taxation using the foreign earned income exclusion or the foreign housing exclusion."

And with respect to the first statement, see

Regards, JAFO
Copyright 1996-2016 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us