The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Renouncing citizenship for tax purposes Date:  8/23/2013  3:20 PM
Author:  synchronicityII Number:  119073 of 127613

Americans living permanently overseas also need to pay U.S. income tax on income above $100,000/year ($190,000 filing jointly).

If American law makes it impossible for me to extract the money without paying punitive taxes (i.e. 70% when you add the European income tax plus the U.S. tax)

As others on the thread have noted....The Foreign Tax Credit. Look it up.

-synchronicity, not in a very tolerant mood today.
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us