The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ive-had-a-few-fraud-detection-situations-the-30843639.aspx

Subject:  Re: Cap One CC Fraud Experience Date:  8/26/2013  9:40 PM
Author:  bmillz Number:  307236 of 308782

I've had a few fraud detection situations.

The only real one was a Citibank one. I noticed my card was missing from my wallet. When I got home I couldn't find it around my house and so looked online. I noticed a couple charges that weren't mine (I suspect I left it at the supermarket counter and someone else picked it up). Called the company they canceled the card and mailed me a new one. They also sent a paper form that I had to mark what was/wasn't my charges. Other than the pain of having the form notarized it was fairly easy.

My only other experiences is with Bank of America. Although I haven't actually been the victim of fraud, I've occasionally had transactions flagged as such (one time I paid for gas at a pump, when I found it was defective I moved to a different one at the same station and tried again). They both call and send me an email about the fraud. I've been able to log into my online account and tell them which are legitimate right away and then begin using my card again. But I suspect that if there had actually been fraud the process might have been more complicated.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us