The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/im-in-the-minority-im-sure-but-we-are-72-73-30847583.aspx

Subject:  Re: Medicare Part D - Estimate Costs Date:  8/29/2013  10:19 AM
Author:  RetiredVermonter Number:  18592 of 19371

I'm in the minority, I'm sure, but we are 72-73, and have NOT used Part D, except when I had it for 6 months when I turned 65. I dropped it as too costly at the end of that year vs Hannaford's (grocery chain with pharmacy), which covers my BP meds and most other generics we use, for a nominal $7/year fee plus $9.99 for 90-day supplies of each drug. No copays, either.

The catches are:

1) If I were to want Plan D now, I'd have to pay about $18.00/month just in penalties, PLUS whatever the plan I choose costs, to restart it.

2) I also found it very annoying to have to look on line every year to verify that whatever plan I have in Part D is still the best (rates vs coverage).

Yes, it is a gamble, but the Plan D options in our state are just too expensive for what they offer.

We DO carry Medigap insurance to supplement our Medicare plans. That has proven to be very worthwhile, with 3 surgeries in the recent years, each costing us nothing.

Vermonter
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us