The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: amt for 2013? Date:  9/2/2013  3:46 PM
Author:  TMFPMarti Number:  119118 of 127642

The only dependent that might not live in your home is a parent. For anyone else, they have to live in your home to be a dependent.

You're thinking of the qualifying person for Head of Household filing status, not the requirements for a dependent. In addition to parents there are other relatives who don't have to live with you. However, someone unrelated by blood or marriage must live with you the entire year to qualify as a dependent.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us