The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/quotps-i-think-we-shortened-the-life-of-the-30857195.aspx

Subject:  Re: another monkey wrench in the works Date:  9/5/2013  9:34 AM
Author:  telegraph Number:  51593 of 63246

"PS--I think we shortened the life of the battery by not arranging for the Prius to be driven during every one of our long absences, particularly this last one. After 2 months in the hot garage, it was particularly slow to bring back to life. I suspect a hybrid is not the right car for people out of town for months at a time. "

Must be an OLD Prius....didn't they have a 8 or 10 year, 100,000 mile battery warranty?

Yes, letting ANY car sit for months without being started is a problem!...the Prius 12v battery ($250) usually goes dead after a month or so...and if it goes dead, then the car won't start..and you'll be replacing that 12v battery every year or two since it hates being discharged all the way. The car computers drain it in about a month or less if no one starts it to recharge it.

Well, at least you exposed the myth of $15,000 or $10,000 battery replacements in a Prius. $2380 isn't too bad a repair after, what, how many years? Gotta be at least 8 or 10 since the car had a battery warranty for that long.

Sorry to hear it died. Someone else will get to use it. I suspect it is still likely worth $8000 second hand as folks like high mileage cars.

The Prius will get close to 50 mpg on the road...at least mine.....so it is great for SHORT road trips....it's a 'small car'...and not all that fun to drive at 70 mph compared to a nice road car like a Buick.

t.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us