The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/those-that-gots-gets-its-curious-that-the-30857894.aspx

Subject:  Re: those that gots, gets Date:  9/5/2013  3:40 PM
Author:  karenlj Number:  51599 of 59852

those that gots, gets

... it's curious that the article doesn't mention other well known politicians who participate in this ag feeding frenzy .. people like President Jimmy Carter and current Sec of Agriculture Tom Vilsack.

But then again, they have a D next to their name so it would be improper to highlight their participation in this abuse of taxpayer spending ...

I don't really think the point is that he collects farm subsidies, I believe it's that he does so while telling poor Tennessee families the government can't afford food stamps.

From the Slate article:

Mr. Fincher, who was elected in 2010 on a Tea Party wave and collected nearly $3.5 million in farm subsidies from the government from 1999 to 2012, recently voted for a farm bill that omitted food stamps....The problem with Fincher isn't that he's scooped up farm subsidies, it's that the appropriations bill he's votes for continues to direct huge subsidies to rich farmers like himself even even while he preaches the evils of government spending to support the poor.

The point is that he votes to continue receiving subsidies while telling poor people that the government can't afford subsidies for them. And if anyone with a D next to his name does it, then he's a hypocritical jerk, too.

“Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.”
? Mark Twain

Karen
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us