The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Paying For College

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/my-experience-has-been-that-people-talking-about-30858049.aspx

Subject:  Re: funding grandchild's college Date:  9/5/2013  5:21 PM
Author:  reallyalldone Number:  8084 of 8141

My experience has been that people talking about financial aid haven't been through the process yet or in quite a while and tend to think that "financial aid" translates to all grants.

Mine,too. The EFC calculator at finaid.org is a useful tool. I know the theory behind the net price calculators at the college sites but haven't used those.

For anyone looking a colleges with kids, keep in mind that the merit aid(scholarship) process can be on an entirely different schedule than need-based aid. Look carefully at the college site and the particular major department as well. The ROTC scholarship review starts even earlier.

Also, it's a really good idea to have a discussion with your kid as early as possible about what you are and aren't willing to do. Beginning of ninth grade is not a bad time. If you have money invested in less safe things, this is also a time to begin the move to safer ground.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us