The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Paying For College

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/beginning-of-ninth-grade-is-not-a-bad-time-if-30858337.aspx

Subject:  Re: funding grandchild's college Date:  9/5/2013  9:32 PM
Author:  2gifts Number:  8086 of 8156

Beginning of ninth grade is not a bad time. If you have money invested in less safe things, this is also a time to begin the move to safer ground.

Ain't that the truth.

I had the kids' college money in stocks from when I started saving just before they were born, but moved it to cash in 9th and 10th grades, which happened to be 2006-2007. I'm sure folks remember what happened in 2008. I watched people who had enough money invested to put 3 kids through college lose so much because it stayed in the market through 2009 (when the kids graduated high school) that they could only barely afford to put the first child through college.

Yes, you might miss some upside, but risking the downside when you need the money to pay for college is much worse in my opinion.

Move to cash starting in 9th grade and be sure you can afford what you had planned for the kids.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us