The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/most-low-information-voters-dont-realize-that-30860312.aspx

Subject:  Re: another monkey wrench in the works Date:  9/7/2013  9:58 AM
Author:  alstroemeria Number:  51642 of 60467

Most low information voters don't realize that many assets depreciate, and never set aside money to buy a new car, refrigerator......or other things....

I'm just not convinced we really need a second car, that it isn't just a want. Particularly given my husband's health issue--who knows how long he can drive.

We intended to hang onto the Prius till it died, that just happened much sooner than expected. And we now understand that once we started RVing for 2+ months at a time, we should've traded the Prius for another car that gets very good gas mileage and has low emissions, but not a hybrid.

I must say it is kind of irritating to run all errands and zip to the beach in a car that gets half the gas mileage of the Prius! But I wouldn't want a subcompact as our only car. And for now at least, we need a car we can tow behind the RV, which is severely limiting, particularly given that I don't drive stick (not many auto-shft cars are towable with 4 wheels on the ground).
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us