The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investment Analysis Clubs / Macro Economic Trends and Risks

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/during-those-years-wives-were-discouraged-from-30860334.aspx

Subject:  Re: note on non-employment Date:  9/7/2013  10:29 AM
Author:  tim443 Number:  433343 of 455589

During those years wives were discouraged from working. In the 70's the price of housing rose so much that economic pressure trumped social pressure.

That's how I remember it, anyway.

I recall my mom receiving one of the first automatic washers and dryers in town as a gift from my dad. I also remember a very large microwave oven, floor polisher (we had hardwood throughout), ironing machine (useless) and host of other gadgets. Mom always said the same thing "what am I going to do with that damn thing". }};-D

Except for the ironing machine that sat under the stairs for many years unused all of them got used and became loved.

Dad loved gadgets and we had a TV when all there was to watch was two very snowy channels because of distance. We also got the first picture window in town so my sister still jokes that the neighbours would sneak over and watch the snow on our TV through our picture window.

Mom did indeed mostly work helping run dad's business but eventually went out and got a real job.

Any <"Save your Dixie cups - the South will rise again"> mouse
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us