The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investment Analysis Clubs / Macro Economic Trends and Risks

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-recall-the-incident-fairly-well-though-there-was-30861180.aspx

Subject:  Re: note on non-employment Date:  9/8/2013  8:47 AM
Author:  tim443 Number:  433392 of 461272

I recall the incident fairly well though there was a lot of disinformation involved. I was just a couple of months from moving on from my infantry years to starting aircrew training.

Our mortar platoon WO put it well when he said "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence and stupidity". Giving loaded rifles to a bunch of 19 yo "weekend warriors" and standing them in front of a larger group of 19 yo protesters is the sort of mix that inevitably leads to such tragedies.

Even training with professional regular soldiers only one or two "shooters" under tight control of the officer in charge should even be allowed to carry live ammo. In truth it is better to use police more used to the day to day street struggle than military who are trained for a different purpose.

I wonder how much has changed with the advent of 300 million personal firearms these days?

Any <We (military) are here to defend democracy... not to practice it> mouse

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kent_State_shootings#Aftermath_...

The Commission issued its findings in a September 1970 report that concluded that the Ohio National Guard shootings on May 4, 1970, were unjustified. The report said:

Even if the guardsmen faced danger, it was not a danger that called for lethal force. The 61 shots by 28 guardsmen certainly cannot be justified. Apparently, no order to fire was given, and there was inadequate fire control discipline on Blanket Hill. The Kent State tragedy must mark the last time that, as a matter of course, loaded rifles are issued to guardsmen confronting student demonstrators.

Then of course from history....

http://teaattrianon.blogspot.ca/2006/12/massacre-of-swiss-gu...

The Massacre of the Swiss Guards

August 10, 1792 saw the fall of the French monarchy.

Louis sent an order for the Swiss Guards to lay down their arms and retreat in order to save their lives. As British historian Nesta Webster says in her book Louis XVI and Marie-Antoinette during the Revolution: "Could [Louis XVI] imagine...that the mob, not content with venting their fury on the Chateau, would massacre not only the Swiss Guard, men of the people who had remained at their posts, but even the luckless servants in the kitchens of the Palace? The horrors committed on this 10th of August were such as no human mind could possibly have conceived." 900 Swiss guards were brutally killed, many tortured, some roasted, mutilated, decapitated, with their limbs distributed throughout Paris. Children played ball in the streets with the heads of the brave Swiss, and the steps of the Tuileries ran with blood, like some gruesome altar of human sacrifice.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us