The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investment Analysis Clubs / Macro Economic Trends and Risks

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-remember-it-well-my-dad-who-made-a-30861265.aspx

Subject:  Re: note on non-employment Date:  9/8/2013  10:12 AM
Author:  JLC Number:  433407 of 465099

I remember it well. My dad, who made a run-of-the-mill engineer's salary, was able to support 3 kids, a suburban house, a stay-at-home wife, a new car (we only had one), and still have money for a color TV and an occasional driving vacation.

We lived on dad's enlisted military salary only until the early 70s. We always had food on the table, base housing, one car, enough clothes although I wore my brother's hand-me-downs until I became bigger than him (which was a little worrisome since he was 9 years older than me). Solid middle class. Only vacations were driving back to grandma's for the summer.

I went to school and so did mom. When she finished her nursing degree and started working, we made a big jump from middle class to upper-middle/lower-upper. Two cars then three when my brother started college. Able to take long weekend trips to go skiing or sight seeing. It definitely changed education and career expectations, i.e., go to college and white collar job.

JLC
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us