The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/hi-ray-im-responding-post-by-post-without-a-big-30870910.aspx

Subject:  Re: Hi gang... wow!!! Date:  9/14/2013  8:15 PM
Author:  Dwdonhoff Number:  72845 of 75807

Hi Ray,
I'm responding post by post, without a big picture review... so please pardon me if something is getting reclarified unecessarily...

This illustration (that Dave posted the link to) says "average historical rates".
More granularly, this is an illustrated gross average rate of 8.7%, which is what the 3-index blend used in this IUL have performed at least 95% of all rolling 25 years periods over the past 100 years of history. Generally speaking, the longer the historical periods used, the higher the performance average (at, say, the 95% percentile.) Since we are solving for a 40 year accumulation, I would assume the 95% percentile on a 25 year periodic average is sufficiently conservative.

You would have to significantly expand your spreadsheet to duplicate the calcs, since its a specifically balanced blend of 3 indexes... but if you want to do that, I can get you the markets & blend ratios... you want?

You can then try a naked B&H on that blend, adjusted for historical volatility cost ratios, if you want.

I'm just assuming that we're focused on what the best bottom line is, though, yes?

Dave Donhoff
Leverage Planner
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us