The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Bonds & Fixed Income Investments

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/bob-ben-ive-got-over-900k-in-tiaa-cref-almost-30875474.aspx

Subject:  Re: Buy bonds, he said. Date:  9/18/2013  8:18 AM
Author:  MisterFungi Number:  35069 of 35357

Bob, Ben:

I've got over $900K in TIAA-CREF (almost all of it in traditional TIAA) and an equal amount in Schwab and cash.

I asked the TIAA-CREF guy back in May to send me the paperwork so that I could begin annual withdrawals from TIAA to shift into my CREF mix of Vanguard funds: 50% VBAIX, 25% VITSX, 20% VTSNX, 5% VEMIX. (I chose that mix myself.) I asked him again last Thursday when I met with him the second time. I am still waiting ... but not much longer.

Bob, thank you for your offer -- and I may take you up on it at some point. But for now, I'm going to talk with the top guy at the local TIAA-CREF office and get some answers. (I'm at U. Mich. I'd like to think that we are a pretty good customer for TIAA-CREF.)

I did a bit of research on the recommended funds. Some of them look fine. But some of them have things like 2% loads, fairly high fees (compared to Vanguard) and 2-star ratings. Plus the .55% overall management fee. I wouldn't go so far as to call it a ripoff, but I am not happy with the advice.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us