The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/if-you-use-it-once-to-a-zero-balance-then-it-30881966.aspx

Subject:  Re: Thanks but no thanks Date:  9/22/2013  2:28 AM
Author:  Retrograde Number:  307256 of 308478

If you use it once to a zero balance then it eventually expires -- no maintenance fees.

That makes sense, and if it were clear in the paperwork they sent, I'd totally do that.

Well, I got the exact same thing that you did: $10 rebate from Crest/PGE. I looked at the card agreement and on the website. There was language about zero balance cards eventually expiring. If you have a card sitting with a small balance then it will eventually be whittled away to zero over time.

My experience with previous cards is that you should use the full balance all at once instead of multiple purchases (and don't ever use it at a restaurant, since they sometimes add an automatic 15% tip buffer on the charge that could hang up the transaction). If there is no transaction fee, then you can use the whole balance; if there is then get a, say, $99 item to accomodate the $1 fee. For me getting an Amazon gift card means I can dial in the specific amount: for one $100 card I had a $1.50 fee, so I got a $98.50 gift card for myself.

This isn't a credit card. Are you worried that somehow you will end up owing money on it?
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us