The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/more-obamacare-confusion-30887035.aspx

Subject:  More Obamacare Confusion Date:  9/25/2013  10:55 AM
Author:  TMFVenus Number:  119199 of 121061

Interesting talk about the MAGI. For self-employed individuals, getting information is laborious.

I read somewhere that self-employed individuals should add on your IRA contributions to calculate your MAGI. But then I read somewhere else that contributions to 401(k)s did not have to be added back on to line 37 of Form 1040 to calculate MAGI for Obamacare purposes.

I searched and searched to find the answer, but had no luck. So which is it?

I called healthcare.gov, and they told me that I had to call the IRS. So I called the IRS Affordable Healthcare Act line. After waiting 15 minutes, a woman got on and told me she didn't know anything about SEP IRAs, so she would transfer me to someone who did. She then transferred me to a recording, which had nothing to do with self-employed individuals or the MAGI.

So which is it? And how do I find out? Help! But, more importantly, why doesn't anyone who answers questions about these things know anything? (Oooooh....that's a loaded question.)

Barbara
Home Fool
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us