The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-am-happy-to-see-this-issue-addressed-by-someone-30893632.aspx

Subject:  Re: Federal Retirees & Medicare Date:  9/29/2013  12:34 PM
Author:  SABOB Number:  18647 of 19026

I am happy to see this issue addressed by someone with knowledge of this issue. I wish I had an answer or even a reasonable comment.

I, too, am a retired FED and have recently faced the same issue. I did some research (by no means in depth), and the general consensus seems to be "it depends."

I have signed up (though not effective until 2014) for Plan B after much thought. I will keep my BCBS (Standard plan) as it really covers a lot. It amazing to see the expressions on the faces of local pharmacy customers when my prescriptions (not all of them, for sure) cost less that $1. An $8,000 visit to an ER resulted in a cost to me of zero.

The main problem I have is that monthly premium cost to me of BCBS is approx. $500 (wife and self), and that stays the same even when Plan B starts paying for most of the non Plan A costs. this seems like a windfall for BCBS and, don't forget, there is a premium cost to PLan B. I'm not sure if it is worth it, but have medical condition making maximum coverage probably the best choice.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us