The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / FIRE Wannabees

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ditto-here-on-the-brake-jobs-parts-cost-50-130-30894301.aspx

Subject:  Re: FI Part III: Buy a distressed home Date:  9/29/2013  10:12 PM
Author:  whyohwhyoh Number:  4994 of 5056

Ditto here on the brake jobs. Parts cost $50-130,

Just did another brake job... this time on my wife's car today. It's not that often, but she just had her car smogged and they scared her about her brakes. Her brakes actually had at least another 20-30k left (only 85k on the Subaru)... but did the 4 anyway. $55 in parts... and maybe 2 hours with my 5 year old daughter "helping"... and a few beer "brakes". It was the first time I've done a Subaru, so I went to the youtubes for a minute or so... just to see if any special tools were needed and nope. Our old Jetta required some weird fork tool that you could rent for free at the parts store.

With the youtubes almost anyone can do these types of tasks (no excuses). There are actual incredibly detailed videos where one can watch someone do the job bolt by bolt on their actual make/model. Crazy what is available nowadays.

We got you beat on the vehicles.

Yeah I wrecked the Metro so had to get rid of it, loved the "go-cart"...

--
whyohwhyoh
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us