The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-took-a-heavy-loss-on-stock-x-i-will-sell-30897245.aspx

Subject:  Re: Tax Loss Selling Date:  10/1/2013  4:04 PM
Author:  TMFPMarti Number:  119236 of 121586

I took a heavy loss on stock X.

I will sell stocks y and z from my MDP at an equally heavy gain offset said gain. I'll then immediately repurchase the same MDP stocks.

Is this a short-sighted approach?

To me it seems there's an inconsistency between your Subject and your "I took..." statement. Is this a realized loss or one you're contemplating? If the latter, I think taxes are a lousy reason for selling a stock that's down. The question should be whether the stock still meets your criteria for buying it and whether you have a better place to deploy what you could get for it today.

If you've already sold, yes this is short-sighted. Why not just use the loss at $3,000 per year against ordinary income instead of ginning up long-term (I assume) cap gains to eat it up right away? The loss isn't going anywhere, and it will still be there when your investment strategy tells you to sell a winner.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us