The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/boy-oh-boy-this-certainly-is-an-onion-with-a-ton-30897903.aspx

Subject:  Re: Roth IRA acct and safekeeping fees Date:  10/1/2013  9:58 PM
Author:  dsr10 Number:  73383 of 76097

Boy oh boy. This certainly is an onion with a ton of layers, though I expected that. So much food for thought, I can't even respond to all the things that have been posted yet.

But a good point was made about me possibly not understanding the fees involved with an account at Wells. I recently ran into that issue with them when I put some money into a checking acct so I could get a secured credit card (trying to repair some dings on my credit due to tough times a few years ago). It turned out that I had misunderstood some fees, even the bank manager admitted the wording was confusing.

I actually have at least $1000 to begin with, so maybe that changes things a bit. Perhaps I should think about beginning with that amount if it gives me better options and benefits. Main reason for saying $500 was, well, I'm nervous and that seemed less scary and fewer choices to have to think about.

The scenario I was thinking of today was something along the lines of Vanguard small cap ETF VB and the SCHX, roughly $500 in each.

Divendends was another thing I was completely confused about, just didn't know how they were best handled.

*sigh*

It may be to my advantage to keep plugging away at learning the best way to enter this whole thing. I was thinking I might be able to take advantage of the market reactions to our govt shutdown, but with the way the market went today it appears I may not get that chance....but who knows I suppose. Not that I am in a hurry to get in, but I'd like to enter a a good point.

Simulators are one thing, but I'm the type type that learns best when something is for real.

I'm going to cool my heels a bit and keep investigating. You all have been such great help! Gonna keep working on making a good decision.

Thanks all!
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us