The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/looking-at-td-ameritrade-today-they-appear-to-be-30905844.aspx

Subject:  Re: Roth IRA acct and safekeeping fees Date:  10/4/2013  3:39 AM
Author:  dsr10 Number:  73404 of 74759

Looking at TD Ameritrade today, they appear to be a candidate; not that I really know what I'm talking about. But they offer some of the ETFs (with no transaction fees) I've been thinking of, as well as competitive fees, and the ability to grow further with them as I progress.

Even if I decide on some other ETFs or mutual funds, they seem to have a decent selection to choose from...again, I really don't yet know enough to say that with confidence. But, they seem to be a decent candidate, and a starting point for comparing others too.

As I said earlier I am a bit confused with dividends and how they are handled. Though it appears at first glance that TD would give me the ability to reinvest the dividends at low to no cost, provided I accumulated enough to invest them back in; though I could use that as a reason to contribute more to the account.

Any advice on for me learn more on how reinvesting dividends actually works?

I think picking a broker first was a good idea, it's seemed to help me focus a bit more.

I've learned a lot already. Thanks to all those that have contributed to this discussion.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us